Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Fundraising Gimmicks and new ideas

New Ideas and Fundraising Gimmicks

For the uninitiated, fundraising seems to be about gimmicks. For many there is presumption that somewhere out there is a new idea that will raise millions, preferably without the organisation itself having to spend a penny. In general the same people looking for the gimmick will also be looking for  a freebie. Not only will they ask for the consultant to work on commission, but if the consultant is successful they will still complain about the size of the commission. Accept these types of job and you are on hiding to nothing.

A couple of years ago I was invited to meet with a CEO who wanted to raise a significant amount of money for a capital purchase. I explained the process of capital fundraising and suggested that the starting point was to grow the database of supporters and to communicate the need. The organisation had a clear target market so I suggested some face to face sign ups at an enormously well attended special event. The most significant costs would be securing a display stand at the event, some publicity material and the employment of one or two key  people to direct the activity. Volunteers were available so it wasn't a huge human resource investment. The event was to be held six weeks into the future so it meant a quick decision was needed. And seeing as quick action was a requirement of the CEO I believed the solution was simple. Face to face asking is the preferred option.
Well we went backwards and forwards with meetings until I could stand it no longer, nor could my pocket. I'm happy to present ideas and discuss solutions with the client before charging but after meeting number three and missing the deadline for booking into the event, I realised that the job was turning into the impossible.
In exasperation I asked what was the problem with the strategy. "I want something different" he said in a plaintiff voice.It suddenly dawned on me. He didn't want to pay my fees for something that seemed so simple and mundane. At that point I said "if you want the tried and tested way of fundraising, with no guarantees, but plenty of evidence of success, then I'm the right person to help you, but if you want something different, with no proven process, then find someone else to help you!"

Nowadays, before I start work with a client who has no experience or exposure to fundraising, I fully explain the process of fundraising to the board and CEO and ensure I have their commitment to that process before I sign a contract. I explain that my role is about establishing the process rather than finding the gimmick. It doesn't mean that creativity is not important. It certainly is. But it's not the starting point for developing a sustainable fundraising plan.

And by the way, commission work is a no, no. I'll write a blog on that one another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment